What I’m Currently Reading

Since Sean hadn’t quite finished Golden Compass, which I had planned to read, I rummaged through my “Not Read” bookshelf and found Dark Lover by J. R. Ward (NOTE: there is another paperback version of the same book for $6.99, this one is $4.99). It is definitely a guilty pleasure read. I think Lynn Viehl says it best on the back cover: “a midnight whirlwind of dangerous characters and mesmerizing erotic romance”. Who doesn’t love a good erotic vampire romance? ūüôā NOTE: for mature audiences only.

I am planning on reading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman next. I have actually already read his Dark Materials Trilogy (of which, this is book one), but it was a long time ago and with the movie coming out on December 7th, I thought I’d refresh my memory. And it was an extremely good trilogy. I really hope the movie does the book justice. I have to say that the trailer looks really intriguing.

Earlier: I am just back from my vacation and I ran out of books while I was gone so I had to buy a book at the airport. I was not about to read a crime, mystery, killer-thriller or the like so I looked to see if they had anything I’d like. The short answer is: “no”. Those kind of books must be wildly popular because about 98% of the books were of that genre. And the other 2% were romance novels… While I don’t generally read romances, I can read them if they are either bodice-rippers or “lifestyles of the rich and famous”. So I ended up with Toxic Bachelors by Danielle Steele. It isn’t great, but it is entertaining, more than I expected (which admittedly, wasn’t much). I don’t mean to denigrate Danielle Steele’s novels, I have heard that they are a good, fun read. I just don’t think this is one of her best. But even so, it is better than any of the aforementioned books to me ūüôā

UPDATE: I just finished this book.

And the funny thing is that Sean loves that “killer-thriller” genre. If someone doesn’t die in the first 5 pages, it isn’t going to be great. He idea of a great book is one that opens with “His body slid down the wall, leaving a crimson slash, the hilt of the knife catching on the curtain as he falls dead, to the ground…” ūüôā But then, I like SF/fantasy and people don’t have a great respect for that genre either, but I like it.

I have finished reading Shiva Descending by Gregory Benford and William Rotsler, Recollections of My Life as a Woman” The New York Years by Diane di Prima, The Feast of Roses by Indu Sundaresan (I’d already read The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan) and The Covenant (Abram’s Daughters Vol 1) by Beverly Lewis.

Recently Read Books

Becky Carleton, a librarian at the Johnson County Library in Kansas challenged me to name ten pieces

The Drop, in the Martini Corner area of Kansas City Missouri is an attractive looking place with brick and industrial acc ents¬†and a pretty bar and cute couches in the front. It looked¬†like a nice… Continue¬†reading Review of The Drop Bar and Bistro in Martini Corner, Kansas City...

I am a part of the #PitchBiteClub, a group of people put together by The Pitch to go to restaurants, taste several of their dishes and report on the experience via social media. On Wednesday, 8/20/2014 we went to Room 39 1719 W 39th St., Kansas City, MO 64111. Continue reading #PitchBiteClub Review of Room 39... | 2 Comments

I am in The Pitch’s Bite Club, a group of reviewers that review a restaurant and several of their dishes. I also write my own reviews about almost everything. This is a little about me and how I review and about what I like and dislike about a restaurant and food in general. Continue¬†reading Pitch Bite Club Restaurant Reviewer, How I Review, Likes and Dislikes...

It’s been a long time since I have blogged.¬†I am changing¬†the name of my blog from All Things Web 2.0 to Clear Blue Dei (Thursday’s Child has far to go…)¬†¬†and the focus of my blog… Continue¬†reading My All Things Web 2.0 Blog is now Clear Blue Dei (Thursday's Child)...